Peppermill Green Initatives
Recognized as an industry leader for its green initiatives and innovations and recipient of a 2018 Energy Star Certification, Peppermill Reno is committed to environmental sustainability and energy conservation. The award-winning resort strives to minimize the impact its operations have on the environment, all without compromising the five-star levels of service and quality hundreds of thousands of guests experience every year.
Since 2007, Peppermill Reno has prided itself on being the only resort in the United States whose heating source is completely provided from geothermal energy produced on the immediate property. Thanks to a $9.7 million investment, and the discovery of a geothermal well more than 4,400 feet below the resort, this renewable energy source has been harnessed to heat 100 percent of Peppermill Reno’s domestic water and provide the entirety of the mechanical heat throughout the 2.1 million square-foot facility.
Peppermill Reno is also an active participant in Clean the World’s Hotel Recycling Program. Instead of contributing to landfill waste by throwing away a hotel guest’s unused soap bars or bottled amenities, Clean the World collects, recycles and donates these items to impoverished people around the globe. These efforts help prevent millions of hygiene-related deaths and illnesses every year, while simultaneously protecting the environment and preserving natural resources.
Additional Green Initiatives
- Installation of a water recycling system for all laundry services, conserving millions of gallons of water per year
- Installation of 30 plasma air generators within the property ventilation system, which neutralize odors, cigarette smoke, allergens, bacteria, and other airborne irritants
- Installation of two Tesla Connector and number of other brand charging stations for electric vehicles
- Replacement of incandescent lighting with lower-energy LED and fluorescent lightbulbs
- Water conservation encouragement through room placards asking guests to reuse towels and request bed linen changes on an as-needed basis
- Complimentary water provided by restaurant staff as requested
- Creation of a virtually paperless Human Resources Department, achieved through the implementation of new software systems and digitalization of all forms and documents