Peppermill Resort Spa Casino awarded TripAdvisor GreenLeaders Gold StatusShow A A
For Immediate Release
Contact: Julia Jeffers-Peaua
Peppermill Resort Spa Casino awarded TripAdvisor GreenLeaders Gold Status
(Reno, NV) – The Peppermill Resort Spa Casino has been named a gold level partner in the new TripAdvisor GreenLeaders program, helping travelers plan greener trips by identifying environmentally-friendly accommodations across the U.S. TripAdvisor GreenLeaders have met a set of environmental standards developed for TripAdvisor by a leading environmental consulting firm, with input from expert partners. Travelers can now search for accommodations that have a GreenLeaders status on the TripAdvisor site, and view a detailed list of environmentally-friendly practices that they can expect at each location.
“TripAdvisor GreenLeaders are leading the hospitality industry in making efforts to improve their environmental footprint,” said Jenny Rushmore, director of responsible travel at TripAdvisor. “We greatly applaud these accommodations and are pleased to share their eco-friendly practices with our online audience of more than 200 million travelers.”
The eco-conscious Peppermill Resort Spa Casino lists amongst its green initiatives a $9.7 million geothermal system which heats 100% of the Resort’s domestic water and mechanical heat throughout the 2.1 Million square foot facility, 24/7, effectively replacing the natural gas boilers that once heated the facility. This renewable energy allows the Peppermill to reduce its dependency on fossil fuels and save the company millions of dollars in natural gas use. Additional green initiatives include:
- A partnership with Clean the World, a nonprofit that collects, sorts and processes discarded soaps and shampoos from hospitality partners and redistributes into the hands of Third World children whose lives are threatened by poor hygiene. The Peppermill diverts more than 1,000 pounds of soap and shampoo per month from local landfills and to communities in need. Annually, soap recycled from the Peppermill will serve more than 1,200 children a year.
- The Peppermill participates in an organics/composting program where food scraps from the general waste produced in the casino’s kitchens are collected by Waste Management and are then transported to a local composting facility, where the material is processed and turned into compost. The production of compost is a natural process, where plant and animal materials are decomposed by microbes. The final product is used for gardening to improve soil. The Peppermill diverts 60 yards of organics waste from the local landfill monthly, and as time goes on, that amount will increase.
- Installed over 30,000 square feet of Artificial Grass Turf, saving approximately 5,184,000 gallons of water per season as well as reducing our chemicals and pesticide use.
- Installation of a water recycling system for all laundry services, conserving millions of gallons of water each year. Installed an Aqua Recycling system that captures, filters and reuses commercial wash machine grey laundry water. An ongoing property-wide water conservation program through room placards encouraging reuse of towels and water conservation and changing guest bed linens and towels per stay on a request-only basis.
- Creation of a virtually paperless HR department through the implementation of new software systems and transferring all forms and documents into digital applications.
The TripAdvisor GreenLeaders program was developed in partnership with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s ENERGY STAR program, the U.S. Green Building Council, and the United Nations Environment Programme. For more information, please visit www.tripadvisor.com/GreenLeaders.
About the Peppermill Resort Spa Casino
Experience the eco-conscious Peppermill Resort Spa Casino, Reno’s premier AAA Four-Diamond resort, boasting 1,635 luxurious guest rooms including the 600 room all-suite Tuscany Tower. Embark on a pampered journey at the remarkable 3-story, 33,000 square foot Spa & Salon Toscana featuring 24 treatment rooms, the nation’s only Caldarium with indoor pool, sun deck and Secret Garden and a full-service salon. Enjoy slots, table games and poker in our beautiful 100,000 square foot casino and race & sports book. Resort amenities include a posh 9,900 square foot fitness center; two beautiful pools and 3 outdoor jetted spas, heated with geothermal energy; designer boutique shopping; Reno’s hottest nightspot, EDGE; 16 bars and lounges, including the iconic Fireside Lounge; and ten award-winning restaurants offering authentic Chinese, inspired Italian, steaks and chops, seafood, buffet, deli and café dining.
TripAdvisor is the world's largest travel site, enabling travelers to plan and have the perfect trip. TripAdvisor offers trusted advice from real travelers and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features with seamless links to booking tools. TripAdvisor branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, with more than 200 million unique monthly visitors, and over 100 million reviews and opinions. The sites operate in 30 countries worldwide, including China under daodao.com. TripAdvisor also includes TripAdvisor for Business, a dedicated division that provides the tourism industry access to millions of monthly TripAdvisor visitors.