Already have a reservation? Manage Reservation
Peppermill Resort wins 2014 Sustainability Leader Award from Nevada Hotel and Lodging Association
For Immediate Release
Contact: Katie Silva
Peppermill Resort Spa Casino Installs Tesla Charging Stations
RENO, NV — (October 3, 2014)The Peppermill Resort Spa Casino received the 2014 Sustainability Award at the Stars of the Industry Hospitality Awards Gala held October 2 at the New Tropicana Havana Room. The award is chosen by the Nevada Hotel and Lodging Association.
Peppermill Reno has received numerous awards for its ever-evolving sustainability efforts. Notably, the two-million-square-foot property is the only U.S. hotel to be heated completely by an on-site geothermal well. This accomplishment cost the resort $9.7 million and involved 4,400 feet of drilling. The resort has consequently reduced its CO2 emissions by 12,000 metric tons per year.
While the state-of-the-art geothermal system headlines the Peppermill’s green initiatives, the resort has invested in making every facet of its operation more energy efficient and environmentally friendly. This combination of green initiatives makes Peppermill Resort Spa Casino a leading example of environmental stewardship in the nation:
- Installation of two Tesla Connector Charging Stations. These high-powered connectors run off of a 240-volt circuit that supplies power at 20KW - adding up to 58 miles of range.
- A closed-loop hydronic heating and cooling system utilizes outdoor temperatures to cool water rather than energy-intensive chillers. The natural, pre-cooling system saves the Peppermill $5,000 each 24-hour period in electrical energy costs.
- Automated digitally controlled smart states regulate all hotel room heating and cooling systems enablingthe facility to run 1,000 percent more efficiently than if it was controlled manually.
- Comprehensive water conservation programs, including 40,000-square-feet of artificial grass turf, save the Peppermill approximately 5.2 million gallons of water per season and reduce the hotel’s use of chemicals and pesticides.
- LED parking lot lights and interior LED and fluorescent retrofit lighting recently installed throughout the resort saves approximately $130,000 a year in electrical energy cost, resulting in an average of $ 98,000 in rebates from NV Energy each year.
- A paperless human resource department
- A soap recycling program diverts more than 1,000 pounds of soap and shampoo per month from local landfills and collects, sorts and processes them for donation. Nonprofit organization “Clean the World” redistributes the soap and shampoo to children in developing nations whose health is threatened by poor hygiene. The Peppermill’s recycled soap and shampoo serves more than 1,200 children per year.
- Reusable utensils, napkins and tablecloths in all restaurants
- Comprehensive recycling of laundry water saves millions of gallons of water per year. The Aqua Recycling system captures, filters and reuses enough water to save the resort hotel approximately $246,000 per year.
- Shredding and recycling of all on-site paper receptacles
- Diverts 60 yards of organic waste from the landfill each month through a composting program that takes food scraps and turns them into high-quality soil
About Peppermill Resort Spa Casino:
Experience the eco-conscious Peppermill Resort Spa Casino, Reno’s premier AAA Four-Diamond resort, boasting 1,635 luxurious guest rooms including the 600-room all-suite Tuscany Tower. Embark on a pampered journey at the remarkable 3-story, 33,000-square-foot Spa & Salon Toscana featuring 24 treatment rooms, the nation’s only Caldarium with indoor pool, sun deck and Secret Garden, and a full-service salon. Enjoy slots, table games and poker in the 82,000-square-foot casino and race & sports book. Resort amenities include a posh 9,900-square-foot fitness center; two beautiful pools and three outdoor jetted spas, heated with geothermal energy; designer boutique shopping; Reno’s hottest nightspot, EDGE; 16 bars and lounges, including the iconic Fireside Lounge; and 10 award-winning restaurants offering authentic Chinese, inspired Italian, steaks and chops, seafood, buffet, deli and café dining.